04 May 2006

It's May. Whoa.



May has arrived in Denmark. And, I must say, The past couple days have been brilliant. Sun radiates everywhere, there is a palpable sense of contentment among people, and for once you can actually see what people really look like underneath their heavy wintercoats.

So, here's the challenge. I have just under 2 ½ weeks left in Copenhagen. As if this was not intimidating enough (it was once 4 months), I have realized I have so much left to do. From needing to visit Tivoli and Hamlet's Castle in Helsignor to the 4 papers and three finals I have coming up in addition to an international conference in
Spain, I have realized that this is it.

The end is near. Every morning, I get up and strike another day off my calendar. One step closer to home. One more step away from the experience that has been life-altering.

There is no use in pretending that this semester has been anything but a rollercoaster ride. From walking aimlessly around Købehavn just to walk and see and be--happy to be here--to sitting in on my bed right before I go to sleep thinking "what the hell am I doing here?" A couple years ago, I wrote this about college, and as I've been writing today, these lines have been constantly on my mind.

"College is a whirlwind rollercoaster ride—sometimes it’s scary, sometimes it’s fun, sometimes you just want to get out of the car. It is the incredible people at Elon that help you to realize that while you may not like rollercoasters, you are still at the fair."

I think that is quite applicable to my time here. Study abroad has been crazy. It's been one of the most influential experiences of my life. I've changed in so many ways--some I can realize, others I can't. I have dealt with the realities of being on your own an ocean away from the people who really know you. But one thing I have learned through it all (and perhaps this is the most affirming lesson one could gain from studying abroad) is that I can make it. Sure my bankcard number was stolen and I couldn't access money for two weeks. I took care of it. So what if they speak another language all around you. You can handle it.

I have also realized, however, that while I can make it, my success really lies in others. My ability to make it was not the triumph of a single individual, but the realiziation that other people are critical to that success. Perhaps being independent means you realize that it's alright to rely on others--rely on them to keep you company, for hugs, for life.

A couple days ago, one of those people who has become a sustainer through the semester wrote me this in an email: "In high school, you say goodbye, but you'll be back at Christmas. It's gradual, and the "we'll see each other again someday" sounds alittle more plausible. Sure I've said goodbye to people, but not a whole group of them, everybody at once, my Denmark family."

And so begins the end. I, like my friend, would love to say "Of course we'll see each other again--in fact, I'll make a flight reservation to Portland right now!" But realisitically that lies outside the realm of what is really an option for many of us.

We all came to Denmark as strangers--excited to be in a new place, scared for the change, ready for the challenge. We're leaving as more than friends. As corny as it sounds (excuse me for my
sappiness, but I'm sure my friends here will agree), we will leave this place as family. For the past four months these have been the kids that took care of me when I was sick, called me when I missed class to be sure I was OK, bummed around Europe with me, ate tacos with me on my birthday, supported random urges to go to Sweeden, and brought me back to reality when I had the tendency to get a little off topic.

It's a little scary to think that 4 months ago I had no clue who these kids were and that in four months, I probably won't remember most of their names. But what I will remember is the common experience and reality. We lived in Copenhagen. We worked our asses off for school (while our counterparts around the world--at least some of them--drank theirs off). We navigated the s-trains, dealt with the coldest and longest winter in a long, long time and together realized that there ain't nothing like the real thing.

So to those who I've met and grown with, Thanks. These were some of the best days of my life.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: