12 December 2006

Back to Life.

Well, here we are. A semester after Denmark. Numerically, if I were to sum this semester up, I would tell you that this semester consisted of 25 papers ranging from a single page to 30 pages, two tests, a final project, a shit-ton of reading (and really, that is the only word for it..no really), 13 chapels, 10 Pilgrim's Peaces, and a whole slew of chapter/organzation/team meetings later (just to scratch the surface), this semester has come to a close.

I wouldn't tell you that, though. I hate numbers.

If you were to ask about this semester, and what I've learned, I could hardly quantify it. Too often we measure life in days and hours and tests, and papers.

I've decided that I would tell you about this semester by experiences. If I had to sum it up in a word--I claim "regardless." I'll explain:

(1) From the get go, I have had the Truitt Center. My four co-directors, as well as the professional staff that work there have been my sanity this semester. From listening to my rants, to reading for me last minute in chapel, I have found a core group who will be there, and love me--faults and all. Regardless.

(2) I came out to my fraternity. Not that this was any grand surprise to them (I mean--I'm not the best at hiding the fact I'm gay), but it was the official "talk." Not only did I come out to my fraternity, but I was re-welcomed with open arms. The promise of brotherhood filled--regardless of where I was coming from.

(3) My call to ministry was affirmed by my church at Elon (Elon Community Church). After working with a small, supportive commitee, I was presented to the Church Council which voted to affirm my call unanimously.

(4) I left Spectrum leadership. It was time to move on, for me and them. It was a felling of success, knowing I had an impact on Spectrum and Elon. It was also devestating to leave an organization so close to my heart. It was a recognition of a fundamental shift that occurred while I was in Denmark. No longer do I need to be a gay minister, but rather a minister who is gay. It's been a long procfess, but one that I am glad happened. God and me--regardless.

(5) I had two classes which offered amazing course material and phenomenal classmates. I regularly was challenged, embraced, encouraged, and supported. Perhaps everything I said wasn't agreed upon, but at least it was heard. Such classroom enviornments are vital. My Senior Seminar class particularly solidified my belief that (1) religious studies majors are smart and (2) some of the smartest, creative, and vibrant people I have met during my time at Elon are religious studies majors and were in my Senior Seminar class.

(6) I lived with my two best friends at Elon. In doing so, i learned that living with roomates who you adore is a million times harder to do than living with people you only really know peripherally. From each of our quirks (Ree's left over milk in a glass in the fridge to Kaylin's purring to my ability to wait insane amounts of time before washing my clothes), to our different schedules, it has been a challenge..but I love them and they love me--regardless.

(7) No car. I was humbled by having to rely on others for rides in a place that has no public transport. The range of emotions I experienced was fascinating (in retrospect, while it was happening, it was a pain).

(8) Growing Up. I'm not sure that I have ever been able to as palpably tell that I am changing as much as I have this year. From living an ocean away from home, to learning new ways of dealing with people, this has absolutely been a semester of change. Good change. Glad Change.

All in all, this has been a year of life. Looking back, I can hardly believe where I was, and where I am now. I have travelled all over Europe and Russia, met amazing people, seen amazing places, and experienced amazing lives and worlds. And now that I can separate myself a little from those experiences, just what happened is finally coming into focus.

Even thinking about it brings me back to life.

blessings.
jon.

ps--The Dog Dooner Cafe' is back. Or at least that's the plan...jan..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have actual fans who are so glad you are back to writing. Your writing is inspired. Thanks for coming back to The Cafe.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
You have actual fans who are so glad you are back to writing. Your writing is inspired. Thanks for coming back to The Cafe.

2:33 PM

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have had yet another amazing semester of school and you are continuing to grow. I am surprised about you leaving your frat...but that's the way it goes. :) Thanks for such an enjoyable couple of minutes while reading about your life. I miss you. I miss you. I really miss you. You're a beautiful ray of sunshine! smoooooches. ~Andrea