16 December 2007

The Question of the Semester

The cold air is back in Atlanta. "Finally," most of us sigh. Sometimes it seems that summer lasts 9 months down here.


Copenhagen has been on my mind alot recently. Maybe it's the chill. Maybe I'm homesick for it, but I miss it. I miss the people, the change in perspective, the bikes and the weather and the friends I found there. We didn't really have fights there, or drama. We lived and loved and ate and explored our way through Copenhagen and Denmark--knowing that there was always more to discover.


I look back on my blog posts I wrote during my time abroad (like this one) and I remember such good times, such inspiring times.


This semester hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination. But it has been hard. It has been three and a half months of memorizing foreign characters and praying for hurting children and wondering what it all means when you put it together.


It has been a semester of new identities--figuring out what changed since Elon, and what stayed the same. It has been a semester of publicly acknowledging my plans (by just being in Seminary), and being curious as to if that is really where I'm going (I think it is.).


Mostly, it has been a semester of "Am I old enough for this?" Of friends getting married and mortgage payments, and people giving you the authority to be their minister.

And the more I think about it (and oddly enough, write a sermon for the church that is ordaining me), I realize none of us are old enough, and all of us are to old.

And that's why we need the child-king and the crucified savior and the sustainer.

Merry Christmas!

blessings.
jon.




No comments: