03 March 2006

Behold.

I'm never quite sure what to think when I hear the word "behold." When I read it, I often find myself chuckling. Most of the time, I find it in Biblical texts and as I'm reading through the various verses, I see that word and suddenly imagine some Hebrew superhero flying through the sky and someone yelling "behold!"--sort of an archaic "is it a plan? NO, it's Superman." Other times, I read it as a warning "behold, you better move your lazy ass or it's gonna get run over." And there are more meanings.

Everytime I see the word, it's to get someone's attention. Almost a verbal splash of cold water. Hey, you. Behold. Look here. Now. Pay Attention.

God, through the prophet Isaiah, says "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" (Isaiah 43.19)

When the angel Gabriel came to Mary in the annunciation texts, we witness "Behold" in a new light--one of grace and hope. That "behold" is beckoning Mary to listen with care, for her life is about to be changed.

How often are we told to "behold," and only respond with a passing glance and a mere 'eh?'

No comments: