16 March 2006

Weekend Excitement...


Last night, I realized that it had been a rather long time since I last updated the Dog Dooner Cafe'. As I thought about what I should write about, I came to the conclusion that nothing truly exciting is going on to tell. And, in a way, that's kind of nice. I've found a routine now, going back and forth to class, drinking tea in charming (albeit smoky) cafes, and genuinely having a swell time.

This past weekend did show me some excitement. Friday Night/Saturday Morning I was hanging out with some friends in the city, dancing and just having a good time. I should preface this story with some explanation about nightlife in Købehavn. First off, it runs much later than in the States. Things don't really get started until at least midnight, if not later and generally clubs and bars keep rockin' until around 5 in the morning.

That being said, it was around 3:30 am Saturday morning and my DIS friend, Malyna and my Danish friend, Martin, and I were at a fun little bar called Cozy Bar. We had just gotten a drink and were surveying the scene, when what happened? A fight.

Well, needless to say, I was terrified. Coming from Atlanta, and not really ever enjoying the bar scene before, I had only heard of bar fights gone bad exaggerated by WSB-TV and my parents. My initially reaction when my friends and I heard screams in Danish (which is far scarier than English screaming) was something along the lines of "ohmygodwe'regonnadie." I was totally prepared to haul out of that bar, thinking that bullets would start flying (remember, I am from Atlanta. Us country folk have all sorts of assumptions about you city people). Before we actually decided that we should go, the two bartenders had four guys in head locks (pretty impressive) and had thrown them out, slammed the door, and promptly thrown the deadbolt. We were stuck.

Now, I'm not one to genuinely freak out, but as the people who were thrown out began to run at the door, slam into it, and shriek, I must admit I was a tad worried. Not to mention the fact that we were LOCKED IN. I looked to my friend Malyna and questioned "Isn't this a fire hazard?" No, I'm not American. Not at all.

Needless to say, the police came, and everything was OK. Guns are illegal in Denmark, and they have a really effective system of keeping them out of bad hands.

The next morning, I looked back on that experience and wondered if that is what America had done to me? Has it made me so ancy when I go out as to genuinely be concerned about being shot? Surely, there's a line between awareness and fear.

The rest of my weekend was rather uneventful. Thankfully.

We are in the middle of midterms. So to all you Elon folk, I have little sympathy. Also, I know your spring break is coming. Enjoy your week off. I'll be thinking about you during my three weeks off touring Europe.

And, just by chance you were still wondering, yes, it's still cold. But I'm okay with it now. To quote my friend Summer "Sometimes, I think it's beautiful."


blessings.
jon.

No comments: