27 August 2007

Walking the Line...

Recently, a friend of mine was telling me about a Christian Financial Advisor who had a radio show. This took me by surprise. Not because he could get a show (I mean, really--radio seems to always be looking for the next big thing), but because he considered himself a Christian Financial adviser.

Not knowing much about the host (and not wanting to assume too much) I asked my friend what was the gist of how this person advised. My initial thought was “WWJA?”--what would Jesus advise?

The first thing I thought of Jesus’ answer to rich man who asked “How do I get to Heaven?” Jesus said, without missing a beat, “Give it all away.” Then my mind jumped to the turning over of tables in the temple--one of the few times when we really see Jesus get mad.

Here is the scripture, for those who want a refresher (God knows I always need one!):

Then someone came to him and said, ‘Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?’ And he said to him, ‘Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’ He said to him, ‘Which ones?’ And Jesus said, ‘You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; also, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ The young man said to him, ‘I have kept all these;* what do I still lack?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money* to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ When the young man heard this word, he went away grieving, for he had many possessions.
Matthew 19.16-22


In true Christ fashion, there is always a lesson from such interactions:

Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Truly I tell you, it will be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.’
Matthew 19. 23-26

hmmm.

So from these two instances alone we begin to get a sense of how Jesus felt about money. And even a surface level reading leaves us uncomfortable with a “well, shit” feeling somewhere deep inside us.

So, I wonder what our advisor’s policy is? Is he attempting to make money for people and nothing else? Is he advising folks on how to be investment savvy while reminding them to use the money for good causes or for others? Or is he telling them to give it all way?

Where is the line between literally following what Christ said and interpretation? What are we supposed to make of it?

Of course what is ironic about the second part of Matthew that is presented above is that it seems that this is a statement by Christ that is so often demanded to be understood in a non-literal way by folks who insist that the Bible is literal. Gay people are immoral, but it’s OK for me to keep all the money I make preaching that message.

Oftentimes, when the topic turns to money, I tell my conservative friends that Jesus said to give it all away. They scoff, often feeling victimized, the explain that they are trying to live a good life. Then, they tell me to stop telling them what Jesus said.

And here’s the thing..I understand where they are coming from. I have certainly enjoyed driving my Jetta, receiving a college education, eating what I want when I want it. I am in the same boat. I like to think I could give it all away, but would I? Maybe, maybe not.

And should I have to give it all up? Is it OK to have savings or is that the ultimate sign of atheism--not trusting that God will provide when God explicitly says God will (remember the birds and the lilies)? Or am I simply saving what God already provided?

Should we stop reminding each of what Jesus said? I don’t mean in a judging way, just in a don’t forget sort of way...I mean, if we are going to Christians, we should claim it...right? So what does it mean to claim it?

These are strong words that make hard questions.

And the questions don’t end with these. I have so many more (not the least of which is how far should Christianity infiltrate your life?) But perhaps we’ll tackle those another day.

Just to keep you from thinking I’m too heavy, here is a fun story from just this morning. My dad has a penchant for Toostie Rolls. Coming home from lunch today (where he had purchased five rolls or so), he stuck one half-way in his mouth (keep in mind he has a beard) and asks my mom what he is...she didn’t know (neither did I), and he excitedly told us he was Lassie taking a crap.

no lie.

welcome to the family.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: