18 June 2006

Happy Father's Day, Pops.

So, I have decided that it is time to start updating my blog again. After what seems like an extended hiatus, I feel like it'll be nice to have the outlet once again.

I got home two Fridays ago after nearly 16 hours of traveling (which is way better than on the way over, so really, there aren't any complaints there) to be greeting by my two best "home" friends as well as my parents. After a quick detour to Chick-fil-a (the real one, the original) I made it to the home place, and then on to the one and only Speedy Pig BBQ which just about made my life.

The next day, the whole family made their way out to greet me which was nice.

The next week found me completely exhausted and sick. I think the stress of traveling (which is just part of the deal, whether or not you intend on it being involved), the extreme climate change, and just plain tired caught up with me and did me in. Two doctors appointments, lots of medications, and nearly a week later, here I am, finally feeling slightly under-the-weather, but overall, well.

But I think what has really done me good (like that grammar?) has been my parents. They have been wonderful. Nearly as glad to have me home as I am to be home. They have taken to my whims, allowed me to be bitter as I miss Copenhagen, and listened to innumerable stories that start with "One time, in Denmark..." What has become really apparent, however, is just how lucky I am that I have had this opportunity to cross the ocean and have my life changed. And it's all because of them. So thanks, y'all. It was great and completely worth it.

And Dad, I know this is Father's Day and such, so, at the risk of being too sappy, thanks for all the rides to Busey and Woodward in the mornings, for all the Pinewood Derby cars you helped carve, for the restless nights sleeping on rocks for Boy Scouts, for letting me play in your woodworking shop when I was really in the way, and for making sure I knew I mattered.

I won't forget it.

love. always.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: