23 June 2006

the pull and promise.

It is 6:45 in the morning. I've decided that I'm really not a huge fan of waking up in the morning, but that once I'm up, I really enjoy the solititude--the ability to be quiet, relax, and be. I think I might get that from my mother.

What's fascinating about this time is that somehow, if you let it, whatever is on your heart seems to rise to the surface. What I am reminded of and what still seems to be alive on mine was the miracle of yesterday. It was a completely full day (pretty typical for FTE, I'm learning), but what it offered to me was astounding. I was able to participate in workshops that enlightened and inspired, and listen to speechs and sermons that challenged, called and loved.

After receiving a renewed call to social justice by Father John Dear, my afternoon was filled with the reminders of graduate school applications. But then I was able to return to my roundtable. This group of 9 guys and a leader has become my base at the conference. They are funny, open, inspiring, and wonderful companions. Dinner followed. Then came worship.

At this conference there are multiple worship opportunities. Well, really, the whole conference is a form of worship which allows us to lift up one another and our experiences. This was the big worship service of the day, though. It was a Gospel service. We sang in community, celebrated, listened, then sat for the sermon. The Gospel text used for the service was that of the story of Christ calming the storm as the boat he and his disciples was on headed for the other side of the Sea of Galilee. Here's a brief summary of was the pastor (a pheonomenally energetic speaker) shared with us.

(1) We are all being pulled. Pulled to the other side. Called to do something. Inspired to touch.

(2) We need to search for a pattern of partnership, not competition. He reminded us that, in the vocation of ministry, it is easy to want to compete--to be number one on the charts. That's not the point, he claims, but rather it is to connect with other people, to partner with them to make it all more successful.

(3) The promise. We have the promise that if we decide to follow the call the we hear, someone will be blessed.

amen.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: