22 June 2006

The Promise of Ministry

Yesterday, I left for Austin, TX. After a somewhat bumpy ride (which had several would be ministers praying their hardest), I arrived at the Austin Airport, which, sadly, is hardly as big as I assumed it would be citing the very apparent Texan obsession with size. I made it to the UT campus (where I am staying in the largest dorm in the world. no lie.) and began to meet people.

I suppose I should first explain exactly what I am doing in Texas. In March I applied for a fellowship from an organization called The Fund for Theological Education. Well, much to my surprise and delight, I was given one of the fellowships. As part of the deal, I am required to attend a conference on Excellence in Ministry...which is in Texas...hence my reason to travel to the Lonestar state.

It is amazing.

I don't think I've ever been in a place with so many amazing young minds gathered together all alive with discussion and thrilled with the same opportunity that I feel like I am having. Granted there haven't been any fights yet (which I'm sure will come later down the line), but what has really amazed me is the ability of these 120 folks to come together with the single commonality of Christ and find fellowship, friendship and home.

Can't wait for today.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: