01 June 2006

The Stars of France.

I have finally arrived in Barcelona and am preparing to meet up with a couple of Elon kids. I actually came into Spain yesterday and had some good alone time which really allowed me to reflect on some of the experiences I had in Nimes.

Firstly, I should say that I had orginally planned to stay in Nimes as a base camp of sorts--a central location for day trips throughout the Provence region. It functiioned as such, but it also allowed me to meet up with and connect to people I would have never even imagined meeting. From Fred the Dutchman to Ilka the German and Noel the Angry Brit, I had a colorful stay of singing, eating, travelling and growing.

I visited the markets in Arles, Ste. Maries del le Mer (where the bones of Mary Magdalene and a couple other Marys are), spent a lazy day in the fountain gardens, sung on the streets of Nimes for money (we made enough to cover one night of camping and my breakfast the next morning!), had late night bottles of wine and discussions with exceedingly interesting people, slept (a lot, which was great), visited Avignon where I randomly ran into an Elon friend and recent graduate, and simply had a marvelous time.

It was one of those times when you wonder why you decided to come to a place, and leave realizing that there was so much in store for you, that there was a reason and that that reason is still unfolding even after you have left the place that inspired it.

Despite a BAD sunburn, a 45 minute trek from the trainstation to the hostel, and the 6:31 am train from Nimes to Barcelona, I have yet to have more fun in Europe.

Oh, and my last night in Nimes, I remembered to look for the stars. Almost as pretty as home.

blessings.
jon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Iam looking into doing the DIS program in copenhagen. One thing I am wondering is: Do you think the work load is so much that you can't fully take advantage of your time in denmark? Or do you feel like it is about the same as here in the states?

Many thanks
Paul