10 June 2006

Welcome Home, son.

Home. Finally.

In some ways, my return to the states yesterday began on the day I left. You know how people say that the moment you are born, you begin to die? Same idea. The moment I left the states, I began my journey to return home.

My coming home was greatly anticipated by not just myself, but also my parents and close friends (two of which even made it out to the airport to greet me). I'm not sure whether it has lived up to its expectations or been a disapointment. I have certainly enjoyed my own bed. Internet Access, personal shower, etc. But there is also something plain about home. It is what it always was.

That being said, there is some new life here. Well, perhaps not new life, but newly discovered. Copenhagen and the people there and my experiences there opened me to a world which is so far beyond the one I knew before. But what it also did was it helped me to realize that there is so much more here. So much that we pass by everyday chalking it up to normalcy or boringness.

My 4 months studying and three weeks travelling taught me many things. Here are some of the lessons that I have learned off the top of my head.

(1) We don't look, we overlook. I initially read that phrase in a book and it became a mantra of sorts. I would think it over and over as I travelled to other countries or walked down the streets. Don't overlook. Detail. Pay Attention. All good things to do.

(2) Give to Beggars. You know, some friends of mine would see me give to beggars and would immediately offer the counsel that the people I donated to would "just buy alcohol with it." See, here is the problem with that mindset. It assumes people are bad. It automatically labels people as uncontrollable and unable to use money "wisely." Instead, we should give the benefit of the doubt. You could deny the money and thus alcohol. Or you could deny them money and help them starve.

(3) Public Transportation is Amazing.

(4) Always order food at an eatery if you sit down there during meal time and always finish what they put in front of you.

(5) "In everything keep trusting that God is with you, that God has given you companions for the journey." This was my guiding principle throughout this adventure. Looking back on my last five months, I realize that it's true--there are companions. You just have to search for them sometimes. Othertimes, the stick their heads out of windows above you like one did in Barcelona when my group and I were lost.

Just some thoughts.

I'm glad to be home. And even happier to be heading to bed.

blessings.

jon.

No comments: