27 January 2006

If They Could See Me Now

For the past two days, I can't get Gwen Verdon (the first lady of Broadway--may she rest in peace) out of my head. She was the unforgettable star of such Broadway smashes like Chicago, Damn Yankees!, and Sweet Charity. In her groundbreaking role as Charity, she sings a song in which she wishes that her friends could see her in her current situation which is far beyond any high she has experienced before.

I can't help but think the same thing at this moment. If they could see me now! Not to mention the place I'm in now and the experiences I'm living.

Today was the first day of classes. I think DIS has got some quality professors--at least from my first impressions of them. The two classes that I was introduced to this afternoon were "Witchcraft in Early Modern Europe" and "Philosophy of Sex and Gender." Both of these classes seem fascinating, and the professors that teach them really seem on top of their game.

Afterwards, I went to buy a sim card and minutes for my cell phone. The system for cell phones is completely different from that in the states. It took some time for me to figure it out, but I think I have finally got it. But don't ask me to explain it.f I'm not sure I can do that.

Later this evening, some friends and I went out to survey the gay bar/cafe/club scene. It is thriving in Copenhagen, and looks like there are lots of opportunities for fun places to hang out. We called it an early night due to the long week behind and the many weekends ahead of us that we can use to explore. But all in all, it was a very affirming night.

What a city and what an adventure!

blessings.
jon.

No comments: