25 February 2006

...and a soft snow fell.


Today, Denmark celebrated Fastelavn.

This tradition stems from the age-old belief that killing a cat in a barrel then burying it in the farmer's field would ensure a good harvest.

Obviously now, the tradition does not include the use of real cats (don't worry Aunt Virginia and Mama), but there is still the symbolic act of whacking at a wooden barrel with a cat painted on it until it bursts open and spills candy everywhere.

Did I try, you ask? Oh yes. There was a line for 15 year olds and up. Well, my friends and I decided that we were, indeed, up so we had our tries. Sadly we didn't win, but we did eventually get our hands on some tasty candy.

The festival is somewhat like Halloween in that kids dress up and go from house to house asking for candy or money. They also have a cute song (sort of like the "trick or treat, smell my feet... chant), except this is a song and perky and says something like "give me something or else..." But realistically, it's only a little more threatening. Leave it to the Danes.

Not only do children dress up, but some adults as well. It's just a generally good time for everyone.

After taking part in the festivities, my friends and I headed to the Round Tower after the clouds in the sky began to part. We assumed the view would be better with clear skies. We were right.

The Round Tower was built by Christian IV as a place to observe the Heavens. Today, it can still be used for that at night, but during the day, hordes of tourists flock to it to get a 360 degree panorama of the city.

Copenhagen is beautiful. It was great to see it all from above and really be able to put together the different pieces of the city that we were familiar with into one cohesive whole. I've put some of the pictures from the top below, but check out the webshots like to the right to see them all...

After riding my bike home, I decided (with some encouragement from one of my dads) that it was time to clean my room. What a great feeling to have a clean room.

And as I was throwing trash away, a queit, soft snow began to fall and I thought, "you know, I'm glad I'm here."

blessings.
jon.

No comments: