07 February 2006

Tuesdays.


First off, before I even write my first sentence, I would love to give a shout out to Aunt Sherri. I don't know who Aunt Sherri is, but I met her neice today who informed me that Aunt Sherri enjoys reading my blog. So, I decided that, in the spirit of keeping a readership, I would say "Hey! Enjoy the blog and thanks for reading" to Aunt Sherri.

Whew. Now that I got that out of my system (and yes, I was legitimately excited when I found out that I had a reader that was not blood related or even close to it), I have to say that I had a wonderful day.

For starters, I was able to sleep until I was awoken by natural sunlight. Yes, friends, that's right. The sun was out. The constant warm rain last night had melted away much of the grossness that accumulated over yesterday, and by midday is was warm enough that it was no longer necessary to button up my jacket. It was wonderful. This Southern boy felt the slightest twinges of being at home here.

After an invigorating three hours of classes about witchcraft and Plato's approach to gender, I rushed to the Round Tower to meet with Tim, the pastor at the International Church of Copenhagen. We went to a quaint little coffee shop to talk about religion; more specifically, we spoke of Christianity in Denmark, the differences between Danish approaches to religion and Amerian ones, as well as my need for spiritual fulfillment which, at the present moment, is not being satisfied as I would like it to be.

Religion in Denmark is fascinating because it's quite mysterious. Danes aren't real fond of discussing their religious beliefs, considering their personal faith to be just that--personal. So, this poses a problem for a person like me who is majoring in religious studies, is constantly intrigued by different faith traditions, and who is on his own spiritual path.

Meeting with Tim was reassuring. There are people in Copenhagen who care about having a faith of their own and helping others along their journey. I have to keep reminding myself that I've only been here for a little over two weeks. That is comforting to a certain extent, reminding myself that I have more time to figure it all out, but it is also alittle daunting--I've already been here for 2.5 weeks. Whoa.

Anyway, yesterday, in the midst of the bitterness, I forgot to mention that I saw a military band randomly parading down the main shopping street (over 1 km long). It was random and a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary afternoon.

Also, I went to Fredicksborg Castle this past Sunday. Pictures will be up shortly: follow the link on the blog.

Many thanks to those who gave kind words the past few days.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: