12 February 2006

Weekend Adventures


What a weekend.

Friday saw the arrival of my first two "to be turned in" academic assignments. My professors are approaching these like they should be easy enough...nothing to really be concerned with. Sure. If you're a history or a philosophy major, that might be the case. I, however, am neither, and quite frankly am slightly intimidated. The only thing remotely close to the assignment in my history class that I've done before were Lynn Huber's primary source preperations (for those of you who've experienced them, you know what I'm talking about). The other paper is a philosophical explication. Try saying that three times fast. Then trying writing one. My professors, however, are very accessible and are more than willing to help each of us stumble through our first attempts to end up in the green vallies of success (hopefully) when we write our next set of papers.

That night, I had dinner with some familiar friends at a trendy student cafe'/bar which served possibily the best fries I've had. Ever. Two things about food in Denmark (and most of Europe). (1) They aren't fond of ketchup. Let me tell you, this American stands out when he has to order extra ketchup to satisfy his tomato fix (I blame my mother for this), but such is life. (2) Most of you probably have experienced this, but ice isn't really something people do in Denmark, nor most of Europe. I suppose they have a lot of ice naturally, so they opt not to add it to their drinks. I honestly didn't realize how much I relied on ice (or an ice maker) until now. Nothing gets ice. Nothing.

Later that night I went to a "Sex and Chocolate Party." Contrary to popular belief, it is not an orgy, but it does involve pajamas and chocolate and lots of fun.

After a few short hours of sleep, 4 friends and I were on a regional train to Sweden. Our first stop was in Malmo. Nothing was really open when we arrived around 9:30, so we wandered the streets and found 3 Subway Fast Food Shops. All Open. So, we did what any college student would do--stopped to have a bite. Once finished with our tasty toasted sandwiches, we made our way to an amazing church. Churches are default site to see when visiting places in Europe. They have a deafening sense of history, importance and faith. Wandering their halls leaves you in the midst of something far grander, important and meaningful that you could ever hope to be.

This church had the most beautiful alter that stretched all the way to the top of the ceiling. Christ at its peak with various Biblical characters forming the foundations beneath him.

Next we walked around a quaint park that almost killed us with packed ice on the sidewalks, through a cemetary, and to the main shopping street.

After lunch, we hopped on the train again and found ourselves in Lund. Lund is a major university town of Sweden. The population was much younger, and the air was filled with youth. Excepting their church (which of course was the first stop we made). This cathedral was built 900 years ago and includes the largest pipe-organ in Sweden along with a floor-to ceiling astronomical clock with parts (still working, mind you) that date from the mid 14th century. Phenomenal.

Once we made our way back to Copenhagen, I had had an long 2 days and opted for a quiet night with my friend Andrea, who I met in the Frankfurt airport three weeks (which seems like months) ago. After Danish Chinese food (explain that to me) and a cold walk back, I passed out until this morning.

I attended a service at the International Church of Copenhagen this morning. It was good to feel that familiarity again, but it brought back such good memories of my home church at Elon that I couldn't help but wipe away a tear or two. That place (ECC) has meant so much the past 3 years and still continues to hold me close. Man, I miss it. And I miss home too.

Copenhagen is grand, but Elon is home.

blessings.
jon.

No comments: